Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Earth Day 2008


I wonder how many people think about Earth Day and then just dismiss it with a thought something like this: "I know that we need to make some changes to stop global warming and to help this cause, but I'm just one person. How is that going to make a difference?" Actually I can see this sort of thinking as part of the reason we ended up with the environmental problems we have today. You would be surprised at just what an impact one person can make. I highly recommend watching the documentary, " The Human Footprint". It will be aired Wednesday, April 23rd at 5:00 Eastern Standard Time on the National Geographic Channel. I was able to watch a little of it the other day. I plan on watching the whole thing Wednesday. I was blown away by the information that they gave.

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;
A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;
Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.
Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.
~ Joyce Kilmer




I was taught as a child that for every action there is a reaction. We just can't continue to take what God has so freely given without giving something back, before it all catches up with us. We are already seeing results of living this way in the climate changes. Right now I think we are just getting a glimpse of things to come. Perhaps what we should refer to as Our Wake Up Call.


How beautiful is this? Well I am here to tell you that this doesn't look bad compared to what they have done to the woods that leads up the mountain to our house. It is heartbreaking to say the least and looks like a war zone. I was going to get some pictures of it to post here, but thought I would save that for another post. Since we have moved here it has been a parade of critters that we have crossed paths with. A couple of winters ago before the loggers started raping our mountain side we had the pleasure of seeing a young Bobcat in the field next to the house. Bobcats have been extinct in the state of Ohio for a long time and are just recently starting to move back into the area. I think if I was a Bobcat I would pack up and hightail it back to where I came from, if all of my woods were being destroyed.


Here are a few links that can better tell you ways that you can do your part for the environment.

~ Jo

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got up and went and set my DVR for the Human Footprint...sounds interesting!

Happy Earth Day!♥
Great Post!

Tracy said...

Thank you for the reminder, that the action of men in this world has consequence. In this case a rather nasty one.

Great post!

Mike Golch said...

I'm unable to watch that show,no cable.I wish PBS would run that one. I would also like to suggest that we rethink what we are driveing.get ride of all the gas guzzling SUVs stop the polution of our rivers and streams.start useing renewable energy.Maybe that will help the great globe called earth.

Carole Burant said...

Happy Earth Day to you dear Jo:-) If every person on this earth could do one thing a day to help the earth, how wonderful it would be!!! I've made myself a note about that show, will definitely have to watch it. I remember when I was gone visiting my two older brothers in Vancouver, BC, they drove me to where the loggers were raping large areas of their forests and it truly was heartbreaking.

I must apologize for being such a bad commenter lately...blame it on wanting to be outside to enjoy the warmth and sunshine! lol I just came in from raking the front and back lawns and cleaning out my faerie garden. Hard to believe that a week ago we still had snow! lol

I've read your last few posts that I had missed and as usual, I thoroughly enjoyed every one of them:-) xoxo

Aisha said...

This is cool, Jo. I think we all should be aware and help as much as we can to keep our environment. I feel so bad when I see people in cars pass by throwing their trash out. In gradeschool we were taught not to throw trashes anywhere and I really liked that because not I'm a grown up, I don't do it.

Gene Bach said...

Hey there Jo. Good post. IF the folks who are doing that logging operation replant it'll all be good as new someday. Of course that will take about 40+ years AND they will have to replant ALL of the varieties of trees they removed. Lots of big iffs I know. Seems like they only plant pines after a logging operation anymore and that simply won't cut it in the long run. Bummer. I'm not a fan of clear cuts...I think selective cutting for sustained growth is a MUCH better way to go. Oh well, maybe I'll change it when I get to be king. LOL!