Thursday, June 5, 2008

Happy Birthday Tersie

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TERSIE
June 6, 1970

What I would like to give my daughter is freedom. And this is something that must be given by example, not by exhortation. Freedom is a loose leash, a license to be different from your mother and still be loved. . . . Freedom is . . . not insisting that your daughter share your limitations. Freedom also means letting your daughter reject you when she needs to and come back when she needs to. Freedom is unconditional love.
~Erica Jong (20th century)

And thou shalt in thy daughter see, This picture, once, resembled thee. ~Ambrose Philips (1675-1749)






I just want you to know my sweet Tersie, that I couldn't have asked for a better daughter than what you have been. Over the years we have traveled many roads together on this journey that we call life. We have laughed together, as well as cried together. I have tried to be there when ever you needed me and tried to stand back and let you be independant and take your chances at succeeding or not. In either case I tried to always be there to cheer for your successes and help you back to your feet when you slipped and fell. More times than not, you have given me reason to be proud of you. Like a flower........through the years you have blossomed into the beautiful person that you are. In all cases my love for you has been and always will be unconditional and always with you.

12 comments:

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Happy, happy birthday, dear Tersie. :o)

xoxoxo

Diane

Betty said...

What a nice tribute to your daughter for her birthday. Happy Birthday Tersie.

Tersie said...

Are you trying again to make me cry? It was a good attempt. :) I love you!! Thank you for everything that you have done, and continue to do for me. The slide show is terrific. I could watch those pictures over and over ... just last night, I was going through my old diary from when I was 9 years old. It's all very well timed, don't you think? Memories ... :)

Unknown said...

Thank you Diane and Betty for your comments and the birthday wishes to Tersie.

Tersie, I am guessing that you love me even more for not posting the dreaded Ballet Picture? I sat for a long time too and watched the slide show. It really does seem like just yesterday that those pictures were all taken. Where do the years go. I plan on doing the same for Chris' birthday. I bet I will get tears out of him, but he will never admit it. Happy Birthday Baby Girl.

Aisha said...

Happy Birthday, Tersie! Did you make the cake, Jo? Looks so delicious. I love the message you wrote for her. It's beautiful and sweet.

BClark said...

What a lucky daughter to be so loved and respected. Happy day to you both.

Barbara

Prixie said...

awww that is so sweet...you must be a well loved mother

violetlady said...

Happy Birthday, Tersie. Jo, what a beautiful post in honor of Tersie's birthday.

P.S. That cake looks yummy! Would you share the recipe?

Shelley said...

What a great tribute to a pretty young woman. How very heartfelt!
And the cake looks delicious.

Happy Birthday Tersie

Tracy said...

awwwww happy birthday to Tersie. Looks like it was a day of joy. Great pictures. Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Great thoughts about freedom.
Happy birthday to your daughter.

oldcrow61 said...

The bit about freedom is wonderful. A lovely post.