Saturday, March 8, 2008

Suicidal Snowmen


Even the snowmen in our neck of the woods are so sick of winter, they have become suicidal. We are in blizzard conditions right now in Ohio. The weatherman is telling us that we should see a break in the snow about 5 PM today. The snow is accompanied by the occasional 40 MPH gusts of wind causing snow drifts and undoing everything that the snow plows have done.


Not long after we moved in to the little house on the mountain, JD did some work on the house to build a utility room for me. He had his work station set up in the yard and was just finishing up on the walls when I noticed black clouds floating our way. I sat there in the yard and did my part to help JD out...... I prayed and I prayed that those clouds would just pass us by without dropping any of their load of rain drops on the mountain. Well, that is exactly what happened. They just floated right on by us and didn't let the first rain drop fall. Not only did it not rain and JD was able to finish up the work on the utility room, but it didn't rain for weeks and weeks and weeks after that. We could leave the mountain and drive not even a mile down the road and there would be evidence of rain, but none fell on the mountain. It didn't take long for me to figure out that when I ask God for favors while living here on the mountain I need to be very careful what I ask for and how I word it.


I didn't ask for this blizzard though. I am thinking that someone on a mountain top higher than ours has asked for this mess. We had this weekend was all planned out ahead of time with things that needed our attention today and Melody's birthday dinner tomorrow. It looks as if everything is going to have to be pushed back to sometime in the evening during the coming week. There is no way anyone is going to be coming up the mountain today unless they hook on to the back of the plow truck. Somehow I don't see that happening.


We are on a level 2 snow emergency warning now (don't be on the roads unless you have to be). I look for that to be moved up to level 3 (If you are on the road you will get a ticket) before the day is over. I don't look for the mail to be delivered today either, which is completely understandable. I think when they came up with their creed, it was when the mail carriers rode horse back.


To all that are caught up in this blizzard, stay warm and be careful not to overdo if you do any snow shoveling. I need to get some bird seed out for our little feathered friends.



16 comments:

Janice said...

Wow, you are still right in the middle of a harsh winter, aren't you?! Brrrrrr! Stay warm and be safe. I imagine you really have to stock up on household supplies and food before storms like this hit.
And that poor ol' snowman...lol. Hopefully he will change his mind and wait it out. :o)
~Janice~

Anonymous said...

We have snow flurries down here in Georgia. This has been the strangest winter.

Hope you stay warm and safe!

Shelley said...

LOVE the snowman. How funny. I hope you keep warm!

Diane@Diane's Place said...

It looked like a blizzard here at times yesterday. We ended up with about 5 or 6 inches all told. I posted some pictures on my blog. It's wet slushy snow but the sun is out and it's melting quickly today. It won't last long at all.

Sorry it's put a monkey wrench in all your plans. I did enjoy my snow cream, though. ;o)

Have a good weekend snowed in, and stay warm and cozy.

Love and hugs,

Diane

Hope said...

Hi Jo,
That snowman picture is hillarious!! I'm sure you all are tired of all that snow. I noticed today that our highest mountains in the distance are white but here in the foothills it's still just flurries. What usually happens in our area is the snow comes when spring comes. I remember one year we had a big snow in May 10. My mother always told us we couldn't take our shoes off and go barefoot
or go without our undershirts that we had to wear until the 10th of May. After there we would have no more frosts or bad weather!! Most of my life that proved to be true but not always! :o)

Just wanted you to know that I'm doing well with my Metformin. Blood sugar is finally down under 200..took a week. I'm doing well with my diet so far but finding it so hard to eat little meals all day instead of 3 big ones!! But I'm adjusting!!

You and J.D. just snuggle up together there and keep warm. Spring WILL come!! :o)

Hugs,
Hope

smilnsigh said...

That is some picture!!! LOL!!!!

Hope you stay snug and warm on your mountain, through this storm.

Mike Golch said...

Jo I just love the snowman.
we are just hunkered dowd here at the condo.just watching the white stuff comedown and blow arroung.

Connie said...

Jo, why are you sending us all this snow, ice and wind?
I have to say it was freezing today. Sooo looking forward to spring and it's not far off. Hang in there, gal.

BTW, I posted about FM last night -- hope I am able to reach just one person. My comment is missing underneath and I am wondering if I rambled on too long? Come critique it for me if you have a chance.

Love your blog!!! The signs like "Just do your best" are they clip art or a photo editing program? Real cute and I love, love the little houses.

julia said...

"I didn't ask for this blizzard though. I am thinking that someone on a mountain top higher than ours has asked for this mess."

i am just so glad glad GLAD that you and that person from the higher mountain do not have any influence in California! LOL Here it is springlike, i took one of my grandgirls shopping for her birthday yesterday, and everyone was wearing sleeveless tops and flip-flops. ;-) Boy do i feel for you!

Anonymous said...

everyone has snow. We havn't had any this year. All around us in mountains but not here. Thanks for the comments on my site. I understand about how the Golden Years are the short in of the stick years.

violetlady said...

Just wondering about the snow situation now that a few days have passed since your post. Love that snowman!

Theresa said...

This is so strange. We're having unseasonably warm temps (in the 40s and 50s). The Ice Park is melting! I hope you can shovel your way out of all that snow soon. Think spring.

Mike Golch said...

I donot think any of us wanted the monsterous snows we got.we got a total of 20' by the time all was said and done.Yuck,Yuck and furthermore YUCK!!!!!

Aisha said...

Hi Jo, love the photo of the snowman. So funny! :D

Mike Golch said...

Picture this in your head a snowman with a propane powered lit blowtorch in its 'hands" pointed at it's self.Now that's susicidal if I don't know what else.

Mike Golch said...

Jo,I have a big bear hug award awaiting both you and JD.you can gome and get anytime.