Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Unselfish Acts


Arial view of Moscow, Ohio following tornado damage

I received a phone call yesterday from my daughter-in-law, Melody asking if I would be available to be on call if the boys needed me. She works at OVRDC and she and a few coworkers were going to Moscow, Ohio to help with the clean up effort that is underway there. On March 2nd, an EF3 tornado touched down in Moscow and cut a path of destruction that leveled close to 70% of the little village. Melody said that it was a very humbling experience for her.  We see film footage of devastation on the news all of the time and think how terrible, but we have no idea the depth of that tragedy unless we are there to witness it first hand. I know that your unselfish efforts were very much appreciated Melody.    


While I am on the subject of unselfish acts, this seems like the perfect time to also sing my daughter, Theresa's praises. On August 10th of this year Theresa will set out on a 50 mile bike ride as a participant in Pelotonia. After wanting to do this for quite a while, her time has come. I have furnished a link in case you are interested in the history of Pelotonia. Theresa has committed to raise $1,250.00 in donations from individuals that would like to sponsor her as a rider. 100% of the money raised goes to cancer research at The James Cancer Center, OSU Hospital in Columbus , Ohio. 

I think just about everyone's life has been touched by cancer in one way or another. It is a complicated disease that takes many forms and does not discriminate. It will attack regardless of age, sex or color and is unmerciful. If you would like to make a donation and sponsor Theresa in Pelotonia you can make that donation on Theresa's Profile Page

I am so proud of both of you girls. Melody and Theresa, you both are setting some fine examples for my grandchildren to follow. I love you both.       


I Am Blessed
~Jo

2 comments:

deb said...

You have raised two fine daughters! Very proud indeed!
*hugs*deb

Carole Burant said...

If only there were more people in this world like your daughter and daughter in law, what a wonderful world it would be! As you say, one can't even imagine the devastation of those tornadoes unless you're right there in person to see it all. Bless Melody's heart for going over there to help clean up.

As for Theresa, I wish her the very best of luck on her 50 mile bike ride with donations going to cancer research. That is just so awesome!! xoxo