Friday, February 19, 2010

When You Thought I Wasn't Looking



When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you hang my first painting on the refrigerator and I immediately wanted to paint another one.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you feed a stray cat and I learned that is was good to be kind to animals.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you make my favorite cake for me and I learned
that the little things can be the specially things in life.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I heard you say a prayer and I knew there was a God that I can always talk to and I learned to trust Him.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you make a meal and take it to a friend who was sick
and I learned we all have to help take care of each other.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you take care of our house and everyone in it and I learned we have to care of what we are given.

When you though I wasn't looking, I saw you handle your responsibilities even when you didn't feel good and I learned that I would have to be responsible when I grow up.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw tears come from your eyes and I learned
that sometimes things hurt, but it's alright to cry.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw that you cared and I wanted to be
everything that I could be.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I learned most of life's lessons that I need to know to be a good and productive person when I grow up.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I wanted to say, "Thanks for all the things I saw when you thought I wasn't looking."


When I find a story, a poem or a quote that I want to share with my friends and it is marked 'Author Unknown' I always try to find out who the author is and pass that information on. The credit for the above tribute was given to the famous 'Author Unknown'. I set out on my search and I found not only who the author was, but the story behind this unknown author.
Mary Rita Schilke Korzan wrote a poem to her mother 24 years ago, thanking her for all she had done as a mother, friend, and role model. She gave the poem to her mother and, a few months later, offered it as a tribute when Mary and her husband were married. So many wedding guests asked for a copy that Mary included one in her thank-you notes.Then began the strange and heartwarming journey of Mary's poem to her mom. Friends passed it on to those they knew. A minister in her hometown couldn't recall who gave it to him, but he included the by-then "anonymously written" poem in his book about loving others. Another author picked it up from there for her compilation of heartfelt works, and Mary finally noticed her poem, now listed as "Author Unknown," in A Fourth Course of Chicken Soup for the Soul, which her husband and children gave her as a Mother's Day gift.With this new book, readers have the chance to experience When You Thought I Wasn't Looking in its entirety and from its creator. This is the special kind of book that reminds us that sometimes the little things we do "just because" mean more to someone than we can ever know. Those little things teach love, compassion, and understanding. In other words, they're priceless.

I hope your day is filled with blessings and remember "When you think they aren't looking, they are learning from what you do and say."


3 comments:

violetlady said...

I love the poem and your background work on the author. So beautiful!! And thank you, Jo, for being such a good blogger/FB friend.

Carole Burant said...

I had received this in an email a while back and so loved it. How wonderful that you were able to find out who the author was, hopefully she will get the credit she deserves from now on:-) xoxo

farmlady said...

I love this. It's so important to just do good things and live a good life because you don't always know or realize who is watching you.
I'm glad that this woman is finally getting credit for such a lovely poem. Thanks.