Thursday, February 4, 2010

Moving Forward And Looking Back

We discussed the need for a new refrigerator yesterday over coffee and decided that it was time to make that purchase. If the old refrigerator had been a horse someone would have shot it a long time ago. Off we went to Sears, Lowe's and Menard's in search of a replacement and a good price. We found the one we wanted at Menard's. The price on it beat Sears and Lowe's, plus there was a $100 mail-in rebate. The refrigerator that we replaced was small enough that I could easily reach the top of it. When I stand in front of the new one I feel as if I have shrunk. It really is a strange feeling and I can certainly identify with Alice of "Wonderland" fame. J.D. mentioned that he didn't realize just how small the old refrigerator was until now. Our agenda today included going grocery shopping in an attempt to fill this giant up. The weather forecasts are saying that we will have a winter storm come through late tonight and stay with us until sometime Saturday morning. It was obvious at the grocery store that a storm is on it's way. The bread and milk shelves were overflowing and so was the parking lot. We managed to get the job done though and the groceries are all put away. I thought I would do some multi tasking and finish up this posting while I am waiting for an excuse to open the refrigerator and look inside again and be in awe of all the room in there.



I'm sure that everyone has heard the news that J.D. Salinger passed away in his home in Cornish, NH at the age of 91 last Wednesday. He gained fame from the few books that he had written, but chose to turn his back on the success and lived as a recluse for more than 50 years. His book, "The Catcher in the Rye" was published in 1951 (2 years after I was born). This means that he was 59 years old at the time. When I was a teenager, reading "Catcher" was like a rite of passage to becoming a teen. I still have the book that I read way back then. Not only that book, but somewhere along my journey I acquired another one which I have passed on to one of my grand daughters. For some reason as a teenager reading "The Catcher in the Rye" I envisioned the author to be a teen or a very young adult himself. I was truly surprised when I read what his age was. He certainly had very good insight into being a teenager when he wrote this best seller. He captured my attention at the start and kept me captivated to the end. I read that he was not sick or in pain when he died, which I was glad to hear. His contribution to the literary world will continue to speak even though his voice has been silenced. I think I will get out my copy of "The Catcher in the Rye" and read it again in celebration of the brilliant light that was J.D. Salinger.


I just received word that my children are running amuck on Face Book and I need to go rein them in. Motherhood never ends, you know that don't you! Hope the sun is shining on you today.

1 comment:

Mountain Mama said...

Congrats on the new refrigerator! Mine took some getting used to but I love it now. I just wish it was self cleaning!

I never read the book you mentioned but you have me curious. I'll have to watch for it.