Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Not so bad....

Before I get back to telling you about our trip to the southland I thought I would share my trip to the doctor with you. My appointment to receive my first Synvisc injection in my knee was Monday. I admit that I was pretty nervous about it. I remembered how the cortisone shot had hurt and I just knew that to shoot gel into my knee would require a much larger needle and would no doubt hurt even worse. That was just an example of how the mind can take unknown facts about something as simple as an injection and blow it way out of proportion. So out of proportion that you can almost imagine that it is going to take four nurses to hold you down long enough for the doctor to give you that inection. I had myself wondering if I would have the courage to go back for the other two injections.

Thankfully it was nothing near as painful as I had imagined. The first thing they did was spray my knee with some sort of cool spray. The next thing they did was feel around until they found where they wanted to put the needle in. The first injection was what I am guessing to be Novocaine or some sort of numbing agent. Instead of pulling that needle out they just unscrewed the plunger and replaced it with the plunger containing the Synvisc gel. The whole experience was for the most part pain free.

I spent the rest of the day onthe couch at home with my leg propped up on pillows and ice on it. As the numbness started to wear off I had some soreness, but nothing like the pain I had been having. Yesterday morning my knee felt good enough that I thought I could try doing some grocery shopping. I promised J.D. that should I start having pain, I would go sit down somewhere and let him take the list and finish the shopping. I honestly didn't have any pain, but as the evening wore on the soreness moved in. Still it isn't pain and I am looking forward to completing the remaining injections.

My research tells me that the Synvisc gel is made from rooster combs and it provides that cushion between the bones that has been worn away and has the ability to take away the pain for up to 6 months. Anything I can do to take away the pain and delay surgery is thumbs up with me.

Taking you back to Louisiana with us brings us to a Monday morning with Darlene not feeling well at all. Toliver had to leave in the wee hours of the morning to catch his ride back to the rig. I don't recall if I mentioned it or not, but he works off shore on an oil rig. Darlene had been up most of the night vomiting and by morning she was also having pain. She told J.D. that there was a little hospital close to her house and she agreed to go to the emergency room since the pain was pretty severe. They kept her there for a few hours, gave her a shot for the pain and sent her home. Tuesday, she was feeling OK so we thought we would take that chance to go visit J.D.'s cousin, Roger since he lives pretty close to Darlene. Roger is diabetic and has had a rough time of it. They recently had to amputate his left leg. The visiting nurse came while we were there to change his dressing on his leg and found a blister on the heel of his right foot. That wasn't good news at all. As we were leaving he took my hand and told me he was going to fight this disease with all he has left in him. Please keep Roger and his wife Marita in your prayers.

Later that evening we met with J.D.'s two brothers and his sister and their spouses for dinner at a Chinese restaurant, except for sister-in-law Jackie. She is taking care of her 96 year old father who is very frail right now and unable to do for himself any more. We went by the family music store to visit with her and her son Stacy before going to eat. While we were there we also got to spend a little time with Stacy and Amy's two beautiful children. It was a wonderful time getting together with everyone. I even added our little server to our photo gallery. He kept the beverages flowing and had such a nice smile and pleasant personality.

Angela and Nick
Wednesday morning, Darlene had an appointment with her doctor to have some tests run and it was also the morning that we were to meet Angela and Nick at the cemetery. This year would have been Warren's 16th birthday. Since Britt and Warren's birthdays were only a week apart, I find myself gauging the important milestones in Britt's life with events that we are missing with Warren because of a girl with a cell phone and a lethal weapon, an automobile. Before Angela and Nick arrived we received word that they had admitted Darlene to the hospital.

We went straight from the cemetery to the hospital after meeting with Angela and Nick. J.D. learned that they had admitted Darlene because she was in pain again and it was coming from a kidney stone. They put in stints in the hopes that she would then be able to pass the stone. As it turned out, some time in the night they moved Darlene to ICU because her blood pressure had dropped dangerously low. They kept her in the hospital again Thursday night for observation and she was released sometime on Friday morning. She she still hadn't passed the stone and had to make an appointment to go back to her doctor after they released her so they could use the laser to break up the stone. I was puzzled by that move, I couldn't understand why they just didn't go ahead and do that while they had her in the hospital. Snce we have come home they successfully got rid of the stone. Get ready for this now...... She has to make another appointment to come back to the hospital to have the stints removed!! Again I have to ask, "Why didn't they do that while they had her in the hospital yet again to do the laser routine?" We didn't get to visit much with Darlene while we were there, but we did enjoy what time we did get to spend with her.

J.D.'s brother-in law has a flea market so while we were there we managed to make time to go by the Country Flea Market and see what sort of treasures F.J. had waiting there that might be calling my name. I will have some pictures to share with you tomorrow of the the treasures I brought home. Until then, Wishing you the blessings of good health and happiness.


Mike Golch said...

Nice photos.

Diane of Crafty Passions said...

I need to look into Synvisc ,my knee is killing me,bone on bone like yours,ouchie!!!

Jess said...

So glad that things went better than you expected.

Have a good rest of the week

Love, jess

farmlady said...

I'm so glad that the Synvisc injection worked. Here's to getting back to normal.

Prayers to Roger. Diabetes is a hard row to hoe.

Diane@Diane's Place said...

I don't know why they've never suggested the Synvisc injections for me. I have the same knee problems of bone on bone. I'm going to ask about it next time I go to my Dr.

I'm glad it wasn't as bad as you anticipated and I hope it does the trick for you.

Regarding not keeping Darlene in the hospital and doing all her procedures at once: they send you home and then admit you again because each time you're released and admitted they can charge your insurance again. Sad but true.

Hope your knee gets better every day.

Love and hugs,


Kate said...

Hi Jo, I had some bad news yesterday when I went with my young sister to get the result of tests which had been done in hospital a week or so ago. The news was bad I'm afraid and it is small cell lung cancer and there is not a good prognosis... She begins getting Radium tomorrow but because she had lymphoma 16 yrs ago (when I was her bone marrow donor) the doctor oops beg pardon 'Professor' (and he only looked about 30 yrs old ) says any goodness received through chemo will not the worth the discomfort she would experience... I am asking for your prayers to ease her during the next few months and I'm thanking you in advance ... Blessings, Love and Hugs being sent to you from this side of the world.

I'm sooo glad the treatment you had wasn't as bad as you thought it might be.. S'funny how it's never quite as bad as we think it will be.
Love Kate x.

Lanny said...

Love that roosters have a good purpose. Glad they are making your knee feel better and that the injections were not as bad as thought.