Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Eve Eve

What an adventure our Christmas Eve Eve trip to town was yesterday. We left the mountain about 3:30 and headed to town. As we left it was drizzling just a little. I didn't think anything about it because the weather was calling for sleet and freezing rain, but not until after about 8 PM. I figured we would be able to get back home before that started. After all they call the weather channel that we watch "Accu Weather". When we got to Chris and Melody's the only people home was Oop and Riley, everyone else was out doing their thing. One by one, everyone started coming in. When Melody came in she said the roads were a sheet of ice. I still wasn't real concerned about the roads figuring the salt trucks would have plenty of time to work their magic before it was time to head for home.

Tersie and her girls don't live far away, so they didn't have a lot of trouble getting there. Dinner was wonderful, as usual. Melody had prepared a traditional Christmas Dinner. The grandchildren opened their gifts from each other and it was soon time to call it a night and head back to the mountain ridge.

The roads were great all the way except for one exit lane that they forgot to salt. When J.D. applied his brakes we did a little bit of skidding. All in all the trip wasn't bad though. When we turned off of the State Route onto our road for the final leg of the trip, we started the upward and climb and started going sideways. Uhhhh Ohhhh, the county trucks hadn't made their trip up the mountain yet. Thank Heavens for the neighbor at the bottom of the mountain. He came out in his p.j. bottoms to direct J.D. backwards into his drive way. That backward journey of about 50 feet seemed to take forever. We chatted a while with the neighbor and learned that his son had been stuck on divide hill for nearly three hours. Tersie travels over divide hill every day going back and forth to work. The reason it is called "Divide Hill" is because one side of the hill will usually have rain, snow or ice while the other side is clear as a bell. Mr Legg said that there has been so many accidents on the hill due to the ice, that cars weren't able to go anywhere for the past three hours. Tersie must have just made it over before the sleet and freezing rain came.

J.D. and I ended up back tracking to a little village just south of where the kids live and spent the night in a motel. We awoke to rain and 44 degree temperatures this morning. It was quite an adventure and was so very good to get home. J.D. took a spill on the ice last night and then again this morning once we got home. I told him if he keeps that up he will be hobbling around like me before he knows it.

Alley Oop was sharing her My Space with me last night and she had the coolest little signature. I wrote down the info and told her I would have to be copying that one. How cool is this? Have a blessed Christmas Eve and be safe in all of your travels.

merry-christmas_ Made with My Cool Signs.Net


Lanny said...

I am so glad that you had a safe adventure on Christmas Eve Eve!

I love your "Divide Hill" I have no idea what causes our lack of precip when we watch the doppler. But we have seen the green precip mass amazingly divide and go right around the spot that is our house. I guess that it is a miracle that there is any snow on our house at all!

Maybe your husband needs to walk around in golf shoes!

Have a very very good Christmastide.

Mike Golch said...

Jo,I hope that you and JD and all of your family have a merry Christmas.

BittersweetPunkin said...

Merry Merry Christmas!!

The Old Man and His Dog said...

Merry Christmas! Glad you both made it home safely.


farmlady said...

So glad you two are ok. Please say home now until the weather is better. Merry Christmas.