Monday, April 22, 2013

Earth Day 2013


I THINK that I shall never see  
A poem lovely as a tree.  
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest  
Against the sweet earth's flowing breast;  
A tree that looks at God all day,         
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;  
A tree that may in summer wear  
A nest of robins in her hair;  
Upon whose bosom snow has lain;  
Who intimately lives with rain.
Poems are made by fools like me,  
But only God can make a tree.

Joyce Kilmer. 1886–1918

I remember learning this poem in grade (primary) school. I even remember the teacher that thought it was important that we learn it.... Mrs  Crone. At that point in time I had no idea how that poem would stir something within me. Something that has stayed with me over the years just as the words to this poem has. A deep respect for the world around me. I thank Mrs Crone to this day for that awakening. I hope that some where in this world another teacher is at least reading this poem to her class!  

Happy Earth Day! 



Prixie said...

Wonderful! And wow, it has stayed with you all these years. Amazing!

Jo Dupree said...

I was so happy to see your name under my comments. I am not posting like I once did, but am trying to get back into it a little at a time. I hope you have been doing great.