Thursday, March 27, 2008

What A Bargain!


Melody's grandmother celebrated her 90th birthday over Easter weekend. Chris, Melody and the three children went to Kentucky to help her celebrate it. They took in a little shopping while they were there and just happened to come across a Walden Books Store. The closest book store around here is 75 miles away in Columbus. It is a good thing I wasn't with them or they would have never gotten me out of that store. I actually love the smell of stationary stores and book stores. If they could capture the smell of stationary and books and make candles out of it, I would be the first in line to buy them.


I seem to have jumped the track on where this story was going...... Melody called too let me know that they had two hardback Stephen King books marked way down. "Cell" regular price $26.95 was priced $5.99 and "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" regular price $24.95 was priced $4.99. "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" wasn't just a hardback book, but it is also a Pop-Up book. I couldn't believe it! A Pop-Up Book! They brought those two back for me. Thank you! Thank You! Thank You! I told Melody that I will be reading the Pop-Up book to the boys to introduce them to Stephen King.


I have collected and read almost every book that Stephen King has written. The past few years I haven't bought any of his books though and need to catch up. (There is a gift idea for any of my family that is stuck with not knowing what to get me for birthdays, Mothers Day or Christmas.) The first Stephen King book that I read was "Salem's Lot". That was 33 years ago when Chris was a baby and Tersie was in kindergarten. After I put Chris and Tersie to bed I would read that book at night and scare myself senseless. I was definately hooked though. As soon as I finished that one I rushed out and bought "Carrie". Thus it all began.......

On April 2nd, J.D. and I will be celebrating our 8th wedding anniversary. It certainy doesn't seem like we have been married that long. I have to say that at some point in my life I must have done something that was completely unselfish or gone the extra mile when it came to helping someone, because I was truly blessed the day that J.D. came into my life.

It rained through the night here. The worse of this storm front is yet to come. We really don't need more rain because the Rivers are already filled to capacity, but I would prefer the rain to snow and ice. I am going to hurry and post this and give J.D. his computer time before we loose our signal.


Wishing you all a Blessed Day!
~Jo

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My hubby and one of my sister's is a SK fan.

I've read Carrie and Deloris Clayburn I think it was called...they made a movie of it that creeped me out worse than the book.

I'm just a "romantical" soul and that kind of stuff is not good to read when you are alone most of the time...LOL!

Stay dry ☼

Mountain Mama said...

My neighbor recently celebrated her 90th birthday too. Isn't it wonderful that people can live so long?
I have never read Stephen King. Not really my kind of read. Right now I am reading The Lost Books Of The Bible where I'm finding a lot of good info.
I hope you are having a nice week.
The weather has been very undecided here. Everything, sun rain & snow. At least my daffodils are still trying to stand, even if they are leaning a bit.

oldcrow61 said...

Hi Jo. I too love the smell of stationary stores and book stores. When family members ask me what I'd like as a gift I always say "Books". Do I ever get one..nooooooo! lol

Diane@Diane's Place said...

I love books, but SK is not one of my favorites. "The Stand" is one of the few of his books that I've read and I guess you could say it's my favorite of his.

Happy "almost" anniversary! You'll have to remind me again closer to the actual date 'cause I'm bound to forget by then. ;o)

Have a great weekend, Jo!

Love and hugs,

Diane

julia said...

Good morning, sissy Jo! My husband and oldest daughter (38 this august) are total Stephen King fans! i've only read a few, i'm not so good at being scared, being much more of a coward. ;-) i loved "Cell" and "Lisi's story" (however that was spelled)

April 1st was the day my hubby asked me to marry him--so far he hasn't said "April Fool's!!" and it's been nearly 32 years. My mom's 2nd husband was by the far the best deal, too--we all loved him.

i love stationery and book stores too! See, we really ARE sisters! (tho i'm still not sure who Darlene is--but i'm glad she's better.)

Hope said...

Hi Jo,
I am also a big Stephen King fan! I read Salem's Lot and Carrie when my kids were small too and I was hooked. He is an excellent writer even if you don't like all things scary, which I do! :O) He can make you believe in the boogeyman and big ugly clowns!! Since we bought this old house I haven't been reading much. Always something else to do. I haven't read Cell so I need to catch up!

Happy Anniversary to you and JD on April 2nd!! You two just seem made for each other! Dave and I will be married 4 years in Oct. Still newlyweds!! LOL

I'm off to visit everyone...catching up again!

Hugs,
Hope

BClark said...

Oh, I am with you, love bookstores. If you let me loose in one you can come back hours later and I am still happy,lol. Unfortunately I don't do Stephen, he is a great writer but his books haunt me. I have far too much imagination. Best to you, Barbara